This week, Sue Myrick signed onto the Secure America Through Verification and Enforcement Act of 2009 (SAVE). Sue supported it last session of Congress too, but the bill died in committee awaiting action.
The bill's lead sponsor is Heath Shuler, which goes to show that fighting illegal immigration does not have to be a partisan battle. We are proud to support Heath in this effort.
Here are some of the highlights of the bill:
- Increases border patrol agents by 6,000.
- Creates a pilot program to increase aerial surveillance, satellite, and equipment sharing between the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Defense.
- Expands the E-verify program and makes it mandatory for all employers.
- Requires notification of individuals whose SSN numbers may have been stolen and are being fraudulently used.
- Expedites the processing and removal of illegal aliens by expanding detention capacity and increasing the number of Immigration Judges.
Will keep you posted on this bill as it moves through the House.