Jul 20, 2009

Q and A: Jim Pendergraph


I caught up recently with former Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph. Here is the interview:

1. Do you miss being Sheriff?
Yes, I miss the opportunities to meet people and deal with problems. I certainly do not miss the budget issues facing everyone right now. This is a tough time to be Sheriff. I probably would not have been as agreeable to cut my budget without some guarantee that there would be less crime and fewer inmates to deal with. That is a guarantee that no sane person could or would make.

2. What do you think was your biggest accomplishment in your law enforcement career?
I am proud of my entire law enforcement career but especially proud of my years as Sheriff of Mecklenburg County. In 13 years, I turned the largest Sheriff's Office in NC 180 degrees from an embarrassment to one of the most professionally recognized law enforcement agencies in the United States.

3. What does your political future hold?
I don't know that it holds anything. I am enjoying retirement and will decide later on this Fall if I will get back into the political arena.

4. Who was / is your mentor in your career?
I don't know that I had a mentor. I watched some of the people in charge as I came up through the ranks and made my mind up that if I were ever in a position of authority that I would not treat my people like some of my supervisors treated us.

5. What do you think about the future of the Republican Party?
The Republican Party has great potential with the right leadership. The Republican Party needs to be recognized as a party that is more than against abortion, against gun control, against taxes, and against same sex marriage, etc. Even though these are important issues, Republicans need to be known for less government, national defense, how to operate government within our means, enforcing the laws, (all laws), and not worrying so much about what is 'politically correct' but what is best for our United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment